The history of Aurantola manor begins in the 17th century. Until the 18th century the manor was owned by the Fabritius family, in the next century the ownership passed to the Hisinger family. The beautiful red brick building, which is the wedding chapel today, was built as a granary in 1758.
The current manor was built in 1901 on the site of the old Herransaari mansion. The old house burned down under suspicious circumstances on Christmas night in 1877. The owner of the manor Iida’s daughter Saima and her husband Artturi Auranto settled in the new house following the dividing of the large Herransaari estate. After being widowed Iida divided the estate into three parts of 700 hectares each: two parts went to her daughters Saima and Lydia, and one part she retained for herself and her new husband. Iida lived on the Herransaari estate next door to Aurantola.
Lauri Auranto, Artturi and Saima’s son, continued to live in the manor and run the sawmill. In the early 1970s the 700-hectare manor was confiscated by the bank. The remaining 12 hectares were bought by Taisto Nikkinen. He renovated the buildings and began to build cottages on the best shore of the island. In the 1980s Aurantola was already a well-known holiday destination.
Several owners later, the Sharps, family of shoe makers from Kankaanpää, acquired the Aurantola manor in 2001 on 1st May. This is how life goes on in Aurantola in the midst of joyful celebrations, family occasions, corporate events and just relaxing holidays.